Charges & Contract
1. 1 How much does the Discovegy smart electricity meter cost?
For the initial setup of the Discovergy electricity meter we charge 69€ gross. There is also an annual fee of 60€ gross. At the same time, the billing of your electricity provider - depending on the grid area - is reduced by approx. 15€ to 25€, as the charges for metering point operation and metering service are no longer applicable.
Even with an energy consumption of only 2,000 kWh per year and a 10% reduction in energy consumption achieved with the help of Discovergy, the Discovergy meter will ultimately cost you very little to nothing, as the savings are higher than the costs.
2. Is there a minimum subscription period for the Discovergy Smart Meter?
Yes, the minimum contract period for the standard Discovergy meter is 24 months. After this period, the contract is extended by one year. Of course, you can cancel the contract at any time with one month's notice to the end of the contract. In this case, the basic metering point operator assumes the obligations of metering point operation and metering service and will usually replace Discovergy's smart electricity meter with its own conventional electricity meter.
3. Do I have any legal obligations as a connectee when changing the electricity meter?
The legal obligations of the connectee are laid down in § 5 of the Measurement Access Ordinance (Messzugangsverordnung, MessZV):
§ 5 Change of metering point operator and metering service provider
(1) A connection user shall declare to the grid system operator in text form that he intends to commission a third party to operate or measure the metering points in accordance with section 21b of the Energy Industry Act. The declaration pursuant to Clause 1 has to contain information on
1. the identity of the connection user (name, address and, in the case of companies entered in the Commercial Register, the register court and register number),
2. the extraction point (address, meter number) or the point of delivery (address, number),
3. the third party who is to carry out the metering point operation or the measurement on the basis of the order of the connection user (name, address and, in the case of companies entered in the commercial register, register court and register number), and
4. the time from which the metering point operation or the metering service is to be carried out. The declaration may also be made to the third party. In this case it is sufficient to send a copy as an electronic document to the network operator.
(2) As soon as the required declaration of the connection user and the required information of the third party are available, the network operator shall provide the third party with the following information
1. in the cases referred to in § 3 paras. 1 or 2, to state within one month whether it accepts its offer to conclude a contract,
2. in the case of a framework agreement pursuant to section 3 subsection (3), to state within two weeks of the application pursuant to section 4 subsection (1) No. 7 whether it rejects the designation of an additional measurement site.
(3) No separate charge may be levied for the change of metering point operator or metering service provider.
(4) The provisions in paragraphs 1 to 3 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the relationships between metering point operators and metering service providers if the task of the metering point operator or the measurement does not revert to the network operator.
In ordering the Discovergy meter, you provide all the information required to change the meter. Discovergy takes care of everything else, in particular sending a copy as an electronic document to the network operator.
4. By deciding to change the electricity meter, does my electricity provider or electricity tariff change automatically?
No, the choice of metering point operator and metering service provider has no influence on the selection of your electricity provider or tariff.
5. Will the replacement of the meter affect my electricity bill?
The meter change has no direct effect on your electricity bill, because you receive the electricity bill unchanged from your electricity provider.
When you use the Discovergy electricity meter, however, the two billing items metering point operation and metering no longer appear on your electricity provider's bill.
6. My electricity provider is charging me meters and/or measurements even though I am a Discovergy customer. What should I do?
Unfortunately, some electricity providers still find it difficult to charge the correct costs for metering point operation and metering services (MSB/MDL). These are 0.00€ when using the Discovergy meter, as Discovergy bills the costs directly to its customers.
Note: First of all, please make sure that the billing is indeed incorrect and that your electricity provider has not only billed the "proportionate" costs for your old meter.
7. What will happen if I move/strong>?
Of course you can continue to use a Discovergy smart meter even after you have moved (within Germany). Simply order a meter for your new home via your existing user account. Please do not forget to cancel the old meter, which you no longer need, so that we will not charge you any further costs after the remaining term has expired. Of course, you still have access to your historical consumption data up to the time you move out.
Note: If the new tenant following you becomes a Discovergy customer, the installation fee is waived and we will credit the remaining time of the old meter to your new meter.